Wednesday, October 30

Chicks & Umbrellas for the Blogger's Quilt Festival

I stumbled across the Blogger's Quilt Festival today and decided that Chicks and Umbrellas will enter the Baby Quilt category.  There are some amazing quilts linked up to this festival, so definitely go and check them out!  I've been drooling over them since I hopped onto this page!

Here is Chicks and Umbrellas, a baby quilt that I finished last month.



Quilt recap: I started this as a way to practice sewing curves, and used scraps and leftover squares from a charm pack.  I created a template on some cardboard by cutting out a square and using a drawing compass to cut out the rounded corner.


The quilt top came together pretty quickly after that.  I sewed the pieces together on my Baby Lock, sandwiched it with batting and a turquoise backing, then hand quilted swirls onto each of the circles.



I alternated with teal and red thread, which isn't really that noticeable unless you look closely at the back.  The picture above is teal thread, the bottom is red.


Every time that I got sick of looking at my other WIPs, of doing graduate homework (paper writing is sooo much fun, right?), or sat down to watch tv at night, I would pull this out and work on the hand stitching.



You know those fabrics that sit in your stash and no matter what you do they just never disappear?  The ones that you have already used for a project, or two or three, and are just sick of looking at them?? Even after I completed Chicks and Umbrellas, I still had some of them hiding in my stash taunting me!  I gave one leftover away and the rest are at the bottom of my scrap bin so I don't have to look at them...


I just love these little chicks. Can you see the faces in the binding?



Even the puppy approves.


10 comments:

  1. Love that quilt and the colors are great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to make :)

      Delete
  2. I love this quilt! Lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and fun! And yes, paper writing is fantastic. :( I used quilting as a destresser during my last degree and sweet Nellie, did I need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Quilting has been a great destresser for me too, though sometimes its more of a procrastination tool :)

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful, Brenna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenna I love the circles... I was laughing at your 'scraps' story! I totally get it! I'm hand quilting a quilt now too so it was nice to see one finished... Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri! Can't wait to see your quilt :)

      Delete